Thursday, September 17, 2009

Deuteronomy 7:9 Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.
__________________________________________________

I often find myself falling into this trap: thinking what I do has to earn God's love. Don't get me wrong. God definitely wants us to do the right thing, to make right choices and dare to be different from the rest of the world. But I'm so wrong if I think that there is ANYTHING I can do that will make God love me more. Or less.

Let me see if I can put this in some perspective. This verse was written to the nation of Israel. What you need to know about Israel is that they were always doing the wrong thing, always disobeying God's commands. But every time they messed up, they came back to God and He forgave them. But He never stopped loving them. Not even when they built idols to other gods. Not even when they cursed him and demanded to have a king they could actually see. Not even when they went against every single law He'd given them. And even when they rejected Jesus as the Son of God, He STILL never stopped loving them.

God has made a covenant of love. A pact. He will never stop loving us, so why would we want to keep him at a distance? Why wouldn't we want to be as close to Him as possible? I agree that it's not the easiest thing to be a Christian in this culture, but it definitely is rewarding. Because I know that God loves me and wants the best for me. And he has for thousands of generations. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment